Ballasted coil conversion

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ballasted coil conversion
From: "Gary Hutton" <hutton@evansville.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:14:45 -0500
Hello all,

I know that this topic has been addressed before, but I couldn't find
specific set-up instructions in the archives. I'm converting from a
ballasted coil with a Delco breaker point distributor to a Lucas sport
coil (non-ballasted). I've currently got connected to the positive coil
terminal the ballast resistor , a white/yellow lead (starter relay?),
and a white/pink? lead.  The negative terminal has a white/slate
lead(tach?), a white/black lead, and a wire to the distributor.  Will
someone tell me what has to be disconnected &/or swapped to get the full
output from the sport coil.  And how can I test this - measure voltage
coming out of the coil to the distributor? Would it be 6v if ballasted
and 12v if correctly non-ballasted?

Hopefully I can dynamically time the engine with the new coil - couldn't
get the timing light to fire with the old one.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Hutton
Newburgh, IN 76-1500

///