Re: Fund Raising Time

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fund Raising Time
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 06:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
Mark,
 For the next donation drive, you should think about
doing what they do on those Public TV telethons, and
try to whip up some prizes to encourage people to
donate over $50-$100.
 Larry Elswick, has a company called Sports Outfitters
supply and I know he does embroidered, but he also
might do silkscreens.
 Not that we don't already get a lot. But it could be
argued that we get a lot from public TV. And I
personally, wouldn't wear a CHAN 18 T-shirt, but if it
had an interesting graphic, or just a logo over the
left chest, I'd wear a LAST CHANCE GARAGE T. And you
can never have too many coffee mugs. (I think I have
around 30 now)
 And it's not like the T-shirt is really worth $100.
The Hundred is a donation to keep a valuable resource
on the web, but you'd get the T-shirt as a "thank you"
and as a wearable badge at shows that says "Hey! I
support this thing, damit!"
 Someone that is donating $80, might think "hey for
another $20, I can get that mug and riverdance CD."
And it would be a negligable expense, right? How much
can a T-shirt be?

 And for anyone that has had thoughts about donating
but hasn't yet. Just remember what effort it takes to
keep an email list operational. The disk space alone
(though you'd think it's renewable) is a slowly
congesting resource due to digests and archived
emails. Plus the time and effort that someone has to
put in to maintain it (You know what an IT tech would
charge you to maintain something like this?). And for
all of the years that I've been on the Spitfire and
Triumph mailing lists (which I used to be on), I
haven't really noticed any problems with the
autox.team server (except for the occasional repeated
message). Mark isn't sitting back working on the list
1 day of the month and spending the rest driving his
Ferrari around. Or vacationing the Islands 3 months
out of the year. (Though if we were to send enough
money, I bet he'd think about it. 'hmmm...new hard
drive or vacation.')
He's not trying to make his millions doing this, he's
a fellow enthusiast and also a contributor to the
list.

 Whenever someone asks which is the best resource
Bently/haynes, I always reply "The email list is the
best resource, because there's always someone that can
guide you through a task, who's probably done it 10
different ways and can give you all the tips that the
manuals fail to notate." There are REAL mechanics as
well as experienced shade tree mechanics that can tell
you how to adjust SU carbs using a toothpick, a vacuum
hose and a stick of gum. This is a valuable resource
even if it is free.

So, even though this list is free, it isn't free for
Mark. And even if all you can spare is a buck, it will
still be a buck more that Mark can use to keep it
going.

And even though it's tax time, (even worse for me than
Christmas for money) I managed to dig up some deniero
by giving up morning coffees at starbucks for about 2
weeks. Does that count for LENT too?

-Terry
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

///