Raising Compression on a 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Raising Compression on a 1500
From: mrgrdnr@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:22:26 -0400
Hi all - Sorry  to bring this up again.  I now it's been discussed, but I save
too many posts and can't find it.  I have a '79 (probably late '78) 1500.  I
understand that merely raising the compression and adding the SUs will increase
it from about 53 to about 70 horsepower. I have the SUs and was planning on
dropping in a set of Euro pistons when I had time.  But I have no time to do
that kind of work (and the car lives over 500 miles from me for the time
being).  Now it turns out it  needs a valve job (I guess I should have been
more religious about checking the valves - shame on me).  It occurs to me that
maybe I can have the head shaved to raise compression while the shop is doing
the valve job.  Is there enough meat to make this reasonable/worthwhile?  How
much should I tell the shop to mill off?  Current cranking pressure is
120/15/120/120.  Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Gardner

///