RE: Speedo Cable Attachment

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: Speedo Cable Attachment
From: "Howard Baugues" <HRBaugues@cadprod.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:35:10 -0400
Phillip,
I also have a 76 Spit without overdrive and just did the cable change from the
two part to the one part cable. I think we might have talked about it a few
weeks ago. My cable matched up with the transmission when I took the fork off
underneath, and it connected OK to the speedometer. Mine is working and
accurate again.
Can you take a picture of what your transmission fitting looks like?

Howard Baugues

I seem to be having a problem with something that I would have thought to
be simple.  I asked awhile back about a new speedometer cable for my Spit
when a list member offered me one and also told me that I could just
replace it with a single cable which would not be prone to breaking
again.  So I bought one and now I can't install it.  I have attached to the
speedometer and it works fine if I spin the cable the needle moves.  But I
can't attach it to the trans!  I have removed the single bolt that holds
the metal fork and then installed the new cable.  The problem is that there
is an adapter that I have not seen anywhere else that goes on the end of
the cable and then the end that goes into the trans is square.  I would
just simply slip the adapter onto the end of my new cable but it is about
twice the diameter of the metal cable and the length of the adapter is too
long to allow it to mount flush and be able to attach the metal fork.  I
sent an e-mail to the place that I bought the new cable from and they asked
for a picture because they are stumped.  Any help would be great!

Phillip

///