Clutch/transmission

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch/transmission
From: "Pettis, Ward (NIDCD)" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:32:07 -0400
Hi, I've been lurking on the digest for over a year now.  Last Saturday,
with the help of a friend (a Beemer) to figure out the wiring/electrical
stuff, I got my Spitfire engine started!  Big thrill and relief!!  After my
friend left, I adjusted the timing and Weber carb, it started to run
smoothly.  I pulled down the hood/bonnet hanging from the rafters and had my
wife help me put it back on.   I anxiously jumped in and started it up.
Whoops, the clutch isn't working!   No matter, I had my daughter and her
friend give me a push and took a loud drive around the neighborhood (found
the bottom half of the muffler in a pile on my garage floor!).  After giving
my daughter and friend a quick ride for their efforts, I put the car back in
the garage to tackle the clutch.

Here's my question, I started to prepare the engine yesterday afternoon for
removal to inspect the clutch, I realized the transmission wouldn't be
supported by itself except for the mount in the rear.  Can the engine be
removed alone??  Does this mean I need to remove both engine and
transmission?  Yes, I know some people have said they've removed the
transmission only, I might do that.  BTW, I did rebuild the clutch master
cylinder with a new line and new slave last fall (with silicone).  So, that
should be fine.

One thing at a time, so many things to do...

Ward Pettis
'76 Spitfire
Silver Spring.

///