Re: Paint and brake fluid

To: jmcneal@ohms.com
Subject: Re: Paint and brake fluid
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 00:12:49 -0400 (EDT)
Hi, Jeff.

I'm not sure that even I'm too concerned about moisture.  I'll plead
ignorance until I do a few calculations.  I mean we're talking about a
few millilitres of air moving in and/or out, each holding (maybe) a
few microlitres of water.  I think it would take a LONG time to
collect a measurable amount of liquid.

Being garaged might make it worse, since moisture from starting the
engine and your breathing might raise the relative humidity a bit in
there.  Not sure, though.

BTW, DOT-3 and -4 will cause more moisture to move in by reducing the
relative humidity inside the reservoir.  Because the DOT-5 is
non-hygroscopic, there is little reason for moisture to want to move
in beyond what is carried in the air, and a lot of that will
eventually get breathed back out again, I would guess.

Donald.