RE: Engine question...

To: "'Scott A. Roberts'" <herald1200@home.com>,
Subject: RE: Engine question...
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:17:46 +0100

Hi Scott,
        The Mk2 Herald chassis (post June 62, GA80001 or all GB comm
numbers) was designed to accomodate the straight six engine from the
Standard Vanguard, the same engine which in modified form found it's way
into the TR5 and 6. Indeed, there are several Heralds/Vitesses running in
the UK with the full TR spec engine. The Vitesse gearbox is stronger than
the Herald unit, though the unit from the TR or the big saloon would be more
suited to the power - there are problems with getting a straight driveline
with this box due to chassis clearances, so some cutting of chassis metal
might well be needed. There are subtle differences to the transmission
tunnel in the case of the Vitesse. At the back end the diff would certainly
need to be strengthened, particularly if the early type with the small
diameter output shafts is fitted. One from a GT6 or later Spitfire would be
stronger, but I know John Kipping/Canley Classics market uprated units -
I've no idea what's done to them to make them stronger though. Later
halfshafts are also stronger (post 1964?) though breakage is still common on
seriously uprated cars.
        There are a few difficulties with the bodywork. In the case of the
1200 front end, the front grille will need to be moved forward to clear the
(Vitesse) radiator - the other option would be to fit the Vitesse or 13/60
(not sold in America I realise) front end as this was designed to clear the
6 cylinder engine. There are also problems with clearances between the
bulkhead and PI equipment, but I guess that would be unlikely in the US.
        I'm sure there's stuff I've missed out, but that should cover the
bulk of it. I won't go into braking systems as what can and can't be done is
a whole different thread!
        One final point - it's not even worth thinking about this kind of
stuff with the Mk1 chassis. Apart from the clearance problems, the chassis
is not very strong and has problems coping with the power of a 1300 upgrade.

        Cheers,
                Bill.

    /============\
 _/                \_     If you prick us, do we not bleed?
/  \______________/  \    If you tickle us, do we not laugh?
\__/ _____  _____ \__/    If you poison us, do we not die?
|    \    ||    /    |    and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?