RE: Engine question

To: "'Richard B Gosling'" <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: RE: Engine question
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:56:46 +0100

<SNIP>

> The only other difference I could imagine there being would
> be cams - I'm not
>  aware of the different cars having different cams, but it is
> possible.

The other (and most significant) change is to the block and crank. The
Spitfire MkIV engine was equipped with larger engine bearings (plus crank
and block) in common with the 1500 unit. These engines are perceived as a
lesser unit to many people. While the MkIII engine is indeed quoted as being
substantially more powerful, most of this is down to changes in the methods
of measurement. What can't be denied is the much more revvy feel of the
MkIII unit (I say this as someone who very much enjoyed his MkIV), the
larger bearings of the MkIV are perceived to give too much drag. The Herald
13/60 used both small and large bearing cranks, the former having the suffix
GE, the latter were GK. I don't know how these changes relate to the RD
series.
        Cheers,
                Bill (whose next Spitfire will be a MkIII or earlier!)

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupi Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Saloon
|    A \____||____/ A    |  1960 Herald 948 Saloon - Original
| =  H              H  = |  1961 Herald 'S'
=====U==============U=====  1961 Herald 1200 Coupi
\________________________/  1968 2000 Mk1 Saloon (the Wife's car!)

Join The Herald Mailing List at: