Re: Taps and Dies

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Taps and Dies
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:27:46 +0100
In article <kng4dyDgNTh7EwLD@hargreave-mawson.demon.co.uk>, Michael
Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com> writes
>In article <3B84B840.C84C955A@cam.ac.uk>, T. .R. Dafforn
><td214@cam.ac.uk> writes
>
>>    PS Mike when I get a free weekend we should meet up again
>
>I'd be delighted.   Before we do, can you tell me again the name of that
>shop in Cambridge that sells UNF tap and die sets?   How much did you
>pay for yours?   TRGB don't sell them, Rimmer Bros. don't sell them,
>none of the usual (commercial) suspects sell them, and Moss want GBP65 +
>VAT for a set...
>
>I'm thinking I might do better in a Cambridge ironmongers, or maybe even
>by importing from the States!

Bad form to answer my own posting, I know, but I've found the following
website:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Taps___Dies_Sets_14
6.html

which appears to offer a great deal:

METRIC/UNF/BSP TAP & DIE SET - 7 metric dies 3 4 5 6 8 10 &12 mm coarse
5 UNF dies 1/4 5/16 3/8 7/16 1/2" - 2 BSP dies 1/8 & 1/4

14 taper taps one for each above die Tap wrenches & holders etc
included. All dies are split.

Price:  GBP29.74 + VAT

- but the taps are only tapers.   Wouldn't I need plugs to recut
threads?

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"