Re: Bad Rear Wheel Bearing

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bad Rear Wheel Bearing
From: "Len & Bonnie Lubbers" <lubbers@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:25:31 -0700
Greg

First, let me warn you, when you quiet one noise, you'll find another!!

I just pulled my hub using a spare (already bent) rim and a 6" 3 jaw puller
latched on through the oval holes.  From what I understand this lack of
great effort is very rare.  The axle nut did not seem too tight either.

My reason for pulling it was to replace the bent hub. I had picked up a
spare rear axle and good hub last year from a lister but had put off
swapping it after hearing how tough the exercise might be.  It turns out my
old hub detached easily but my new spare would not come off (using my simple
tools).

I called a couple local shops but could find no one with a proper tool.
After being told at one shop that they would have a go at it for $69.00 per
hour until it pressed off and that their usual experience resulted in a
second bent hub, I instead took my hub to a local machine shop and for
$10.00 they trued up the flange on their lathe.

Len Lubbers '79 Spitfire
Ottawa, Canada www3.sympatico.ca/lubbers