Subject: Gear lube leak

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: Gear lube leak
From: Larry Ternowski <llst@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 00:30:49 -0700
D T Gebhard" <kimkell@decaturnet.com>

Dave wrote:
Spitlisters:
    Recently, after having my Spit up on jackstands under the rear end
for about a week to do some spring work, I had gear lube on the garage
floor. Lots of it. I went for a test drive and noticed that the clutch
is now slipping where as it wasn't before I jacked it up. Is the clutch
now ruined or will this stuff wear off in time?

            Thanks
            Dave Gebhard

I don't know if the oil will wear away, but I had a similar situation
with my tranny when I put it on end while trying to remove what was left
of my speedo pinion bearing.. Gear oil came out at the input shaft and I
was wondering if this is a sign that there is a seal problem.

I'm still looking for a speedo pinion gear and bearing for a d type
overdrive. If anyone has some parts, please email me a note.

Larry Ternowski
Surrey BC