Canadian/British content

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Canadian/British content
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 14:28:44 -0600
    While wandering through my favourite supermarket (the
Pick A Part yard) today lookingfor British bits that fit
Spitfires I was surprised to find the following:

A 1971 Oldsmobile Firenza, assembled in Canada.  What caught
my eye was the carbon canister, three hose version, made by
Coopers in the UK - identical to a late Spit!
Then I noticed the SU carb, sure looked familiar (but wasn't
worth taking.)
Inside the car I found that the ignition switch wiring plugs
are identical to the Spit - that 5 pin socket.  Further, in
the trunk, I found that the tail light bulb sockets and
rubber covers are again identical to the Spitfire.

Makes me wonder - what are these British pieces doing on an
American car assembled in Canada?

Anyone have any theories?

Cheers, Fred

PS, for $6 I made a good haul!