front shock absorber lower bushings

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: front shock absorber lower bushings
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 02:24:29 -0700 (PDT)
Have just spent over 2 hours removing the rubber bushing from the lower
eye on the new shock absorber to replace it with a poly bush.  Rather
annoyingly there appear to be 2 different sizes of eye, the poly bushings
that I have are for a smaller type (119450) but the shock absorbers have
a wider and shorter eye.  The dimensions are as follows:

New shock absorber
                         DEPTH        DIAMETER
New shock eye            15/16        1 2/16
Metal bushing sleeve     1 1/2
Bushing                  1 3/16

                         DEPTH        DIAMETER
Shock eye                             15/16
Metal bushing sleeve     1 1/2
Bushing                  1 7/16

I got 2 scrap shock and springs to get the top plates from them and they
have the thinner bush, although the shocks that came off my car have the
wider bush that the new shocks have.

So basically I am stuck with 2 poly bushes that don't fit the new shocks
and 1 shock absorber with no bushing because I hacked it out.

Anyone know anymore about these different types of shocks/bushings?  Can
I get the wider poly bushes?  Anyone know a UK supplier/part no for
these?  Why can nothing with cars be simple and straight-forward?

cheers
John
http://personals.yahoo.com