Re: Spitfire rear spring plans

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire rear spring plans
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 06:26:21 -0700
>Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 06:21:43 -0700
>To: davidt@opentext.com
>From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
>Subject: Re: Spitfire rear spring plans
>
>>They would do the same to the spit spring and add a extra leaf to the
middle
>>for a little extra stiffness under the middle load.
*************************
Unless I missed something this won't work unless other changes are made.
Adding a leaf to a swing spring won't allow the clamp to fit the spring
properly anymore.  The spring will be too tall, and the clamp won't allow
the spring to pivot as it should unless you make a new, taller clamp to
compensate for the extra thickness.  Creating a stiffer fully clamped
(bottom) spring will negate the action of the swing spring function in
effect making it as a fully clamped "fixed" earlier style spring (and
aggravating the tendency to tuck under which is what the swing spring was
designed to control).  If this is the case, you will need the camber
compensator and you might as well just clamp it in place as the earlier
springs are-