Re: Hardtop bolts

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hardtop bolts
From: Ben Miller <no1-bronco-fan@home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:31:23 -0700
Larry Ternowski wrote:

> I am trying to fit some bolts to the front of my MK2 hardtop and neither
> the coarse or the fine thread want to get started. I noticed that VB has
> bolts at $5 each which is pretty pricey for a bolt.. Are these a special
> thread?
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
>
> Larry Ternowski
> Surrey BC

I don't know about the MK2 but my '79 needed 5/16"-24 bolts, 2 2" bolts and 2
1/2" bolts. The front bolts were $1.35@ for stainless. The back bolts were
$0.60@, also stainless. That's $3.90 for all four. If you drop down to grade 5
instead of stainless it'll cost less than $2.00. I went with stainless for the
extra strength (a little extra) and the fact that stainless won't rust. I had a
terrible time fitting the bolts the first time. I just used a tap to clean out
the threads and it's been a breeze ever since. If you try that however, beware.
If you runn the tap too far you can cut a hole in your hard top, I did. :-(
Fortunately not a big one.

Ben Miller
--
-An act of war has been committed. We MUST react accordingly!-
'79 Spit - "Bitsy"