Spitfire/Hardtop combo on Ebay

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire/Hardtop combo on Ebay
From: "Pettis, Ward (NIDCD)" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:55:27 -0400
On Saturday, I went down to Richmond, VA to look at this Spitfire currently
on Ebay.  I was primarily interested in the hardtop.  This item was brought
to my attention by Ebay after my bid for another hardtop failed.

The car is complete, with few items not standard such as a single line brake
master cylinder.  The emission system appears to be complete with air pump,
valves, air lines, etc, although the fan belt bypasses the air pump.  I was
not able to turn over the engine by briefly tugging on the belt.  The engine
hasn't been running since around 1995 (more details on the item's
description).  It does have a nice tonneau, two top covers, good top.  The
hardtop has minor rust around most of the outside edge.  The area in front
of the sill appears to be filled with bondo.  Engine had fair amount of
crusty build-up of rust (high humidity?).  Trunk appears to be dry, solid,
with jack...

The seller is doing this for a friend who is too busy for the Federal
Reserve to attend to his six cars.  These two guys are Porsche enthusiasts
with 7 Porsches between them.  356's, 911's and one 914.  Sounds like to me
the spitfire was an afterthought with regrets made six months ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=596886283
&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1003952823&indexURL=0&rd=1>
&item=596886283&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1003952823&indexURL=0&rd=1

Item # 596886283

NFI, etc... again, I was mainly interested in the hardtop and my wife wasn't
eager to have another car in the driveway.

Ward - '76 Spit.
Maryland