Re: Delusions of grandeur

To: "Terry Thompson" <firespiter@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Delusions of grandeur
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:54:25 -0700
Terry,

The fact that the seller has recently disguised his identity (aka 'changed'
it) and has ZERO feedback is reason enough to avoid this one like the plague
no matter what the asking price is.  Add to this the fact that there is no
information about (or even photos of) the car and I pity the poor fool (to
quote Mr. T) who bids on that car.  The only bright side of this is that the
seller just blew his posting fees.  Nobody in their right mind will bid on
that auction.

I got a big kick out of a recent V-8 Spitfire that sold on eBay for over $15k.
The boot lid didn't fit correctly, you had to open the trunk to put gas in the
thing, the rear end, suspension and brakes were original Mk1 (hardly adequate
for the new weight, power or torque, etc.  In other words, this car was going
to still need quite a bit of work.  When I called the seller on it, he said
"oh, it's not meant to be driven hard -- it's just a 'cafe racer or boulevard
cruiser'.  He quickly added that he had never put the pedal to the floor.  No
wonder.  His differential would have exploded before he could unload his work
in progress.

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 project
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net