Weight of engine?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Weight of engine?
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:42:41 -0400
Friends -

A large check arrived in the mail the other day, and I took
it as a sign that it was finally time to take my 1972
1300 engine to the shop to be rebuilt. It's out of the
car and stripped down to the block and head.

Instead of trying to find a pickup I could borrow, I thought
I would break down and buy one of those cargo carriers
that use a trailer hitch receiver. I have a trailer hitch
on the back of my Volvo and have been eyeing a cargo carrier
for some time as a useful item. Of course, they come in
various sizes and load weight capacities.

Anyway, anyone have any idea of how heavy a stripped
engine is?

Thanks!

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC