re: Free to a good home - o/size Journal Bearings

To: <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Free to a good home - o/size Journal Bearings
From: <rtgetzinger@scif.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 8:20:00 PST
Michael,
I had a spit crankshaft turned down to 0.040" because it was already at
0.030". I had to drive 1200 miles round trip to get the block that had the
crank in it and didn't know the condition. I wasn't happy but needed a crank
at less than catalog prices. I did not have the crank hardened but was warned
about the life of a crank with 0.040" journals. I suspect maybe 20,000 miles
of easy driving. At 0.050" I don't think you can even get bearings that size.
Other than use as an anchor I believe its value is that someday it could have
more metal welded to the journals and then turn that down to have a useable
crankshaft. Sounds like a last resort though to me and very spendy. Have you
found a source for 0.050" bearings?
Rob