Re: Sorry, non TR question, Yahoo question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sorry, non TR question, Yahoo question
From: reed mideke <rfm@redshift.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 14:55:13 -0800
Bradley D Richardson wrote:

> Barry,
>
> I'm not aware of a solution, but maybe someone else?  I was told from
> people more knowledgeable than me, that it's simply something we have to
> put up with, in exchange for the 'free' service, and also that even some
> paying services now have those annoying pop up windows.  They figured out
> how to do it, and now we have to put up with it.  Real annoying are pop
> up windows that open up other pop ups, rare, but I've had them.
>
> Brad

[...]

It seems there is some interest among list members, so
I will reply here.
mozilla (www.mozilla.org) allows you to disable the javascript
open window command either completely or on a site by site basis.
Currently you have to edit a config file to do it (instructions
here
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/components/configPolicy.html
may be incomprehensible to non geeks).
It also allows you to disable loading images from specific
servers (like doubleclick.net).
This is great if you are on a dialup with per minute charges.

You should be aware that not loading images/pop-ups may
reduce the income of the sites you visit. OTOH, maybe it is
time for advertisers to realize that banners and pop ups
basically don't work, and that making them more annoying
is not a good solution.

errr... spitfire content ? Mine still runs, drives and
leaks (water in the top and oil out the diff). Working
slowly on getting it onto a GT6 chassis and suspension.
Bye bye swing axle. And bye bye twisted chassis.
--
Email:               rfm(at)redshift.com or rfm(at)portalofevil.com
Home page:                             http://www.redshift.com/~rfm