Re: Stud problems

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stud problems
From: Andre Rousseau <andrer@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 17:26:22 -0500
Thanks to everyone for their tips.

Here are the results.
http://www.mediacentre.com/~andre/gt6/photogallery/2001/11/18/index.htm

First I tried the vise-grips. No luck the stud and lug would simply slip.

So I went to the Canadian Tire, the guys at the auto dept looked at me
pretty strange when I asked for a nut splitter something about we use
torches. So I walked over the hardware dept the guy knew what I wanted.

I than got to work on the lug I had to really work at this I did 4 cuts with
the splitter. When I finally got the head off I was still faced with a
problem. The sleeve part of the lug which was in the wheel would not let the
wheel pass. Out came the WD40. Still no luck, next I got my drill out. This
proved to be useful. I was able to spin the stud back and forth working the
lug out of the wheel until I could pull the wheel free.

Still want not out of the clear. The lug was still on stuck on the stud
meaning I could not remove the brake drum. 2 vise-grips later and I had that
taken care of. The stud was striped which would allowed it to spin.

I'm going to order 4 new ones and a new lug on Monday.

Again thanks for everyone's help.

I did manage to drive the car out. Looks nice drives well.

A.

--
Andre Rousseau
'68 GT6 - Ottawa