knocking noise

To: Spitfire Enthusiast <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: knocking noise
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:17:50 -0800 (PST)
Well it had to happen didn't it, Saskia has been back on the road for 6
days nows and a new problem has reared it's ugly and expensive looking
head.

Coming back from playing badminton just now she had been running fine and
enjoying the clear roads for the first time this week to build up a bit
of speed (at fastest about 55mph).  All was fine until I went over a
roundabout and was going up a hill in 3rd and she didn't seem to be
pulling as well as I expected.  I turned the radio off and I could hear a
knocking sound which I first thought to be the exhaust popping.  On
further investigation it was obvious this was nothing to do with the
exhaust.  On acceleration you can hear a knocking noise that is in time
with the revs rising.  She is then very ruluctant to go above 3500rpm and
will get 'stuck' there.  When driving at a constant speed the knocking is
much less apparent.  Going up hills the knocking gets worse again.  When
idling there is no knocking noise and the engine sounds fine (except for
the exhasut popping!).

I gave the engine a quick check, but saw nothing that made me gasp, I
didn't expect to anyway as the symptoms suggest that the problem is from
the gearbox onwards.  My first guess is that it is one of my ujs on the
propshaft that has gone.  I doubt that it is the ujs on the drive shaft
as these were replaced only this time last year.  The propshaft (I
assume) had been making a clunk noise when taking up the drive for quite
some time, but this had not got any worse and my mechanics said not to
worry about it.

What do you reckon it might be?  How can I test to find out what the
problem is?

I am bit pissed off at the moment, it seems to be one thing after another
with this damn car.  Feel free to insert more expletives into the
previous sentence!

cheers
John (pissed off) and Saskia (1977 !&^$*&#& Spitfire *##&!#$%$ 1500)
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1