Re: Brake Caliper Reconditioning

To: "Catchpole, Pat" <Pat.Catchpole@ntc-europe.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Reconditioning
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 02:41:56 -0800
Hi Pat,

You have absolutely nothing to fear.  Rebuilding your own calipers is one of
the easiest repairs you can do in just a couple of hours, particularly since
you say the pistons are moving.  The real hassle is when the pistons are
frozen, but even that can be overcome with compressed air or by connecting a
grease gun to the inlet (you have to clean the grease out of the calipers
thoroughly when the pistons are extracted, but this method really does work --
and a lot safer than using compressed air when the pistons are stuck).  But
again, you don't have that problem.  Count your blessings.

Check the pistons for scoring or pitting while you have them out.  If there's
any sort of irregularity in the pistons at all, it's best to replace them.
They're inexpensive and you may find that your piece of mind warrants the
additional cost.  I think I paid $10 each for the four pistons that were
required to do both calipers on my Spitfire.

You don't need to have the calipers bead blasted.  You can use a wire brush
instead, with excellent results.

For a detailed step by step "how to" on rebuilding your calipers, check this
link if you like:

http://www.totallytriumph.net/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=4&;
forum=DCForumID45

It includes before and after photos.  Good luck!

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 project
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net