Re: MPH vs. RPM

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MPH vs. RPM
From: Robert J Finnis <r.finnis@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:34:40 +0000
Hi,

I haven't done this with the Spitfire, but I checked the speedometer on my
Rover with a handheld GPS.

Drove along at a constant speed on a straight piece of road whilst a friend
read off the speed on the GPS (had a good sat lock), turned out that 30 mph
the speedo was dead on, whilst at 70 indicated was actually 67.  Don't know
how accurate this system is, or whether it would stand up legally.  May give
you at least an idea of what speed you are doing.  I don't know if GPS has had
its accuracy fiddled with the recent actions.

I may have to rely on the tacho for speed readings as my speedo needle bounces
around +/- 5 mph in a 30!  I assume that a new cable (or re-lubricating the
old one) will fix this?

Hope this helps

Robert