Re: New uses for old parts

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New uses for old parts
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 08:19:20 +0000
In article <019e01c1ad34$e941e900$6401a8c0@san.rr.com>, Jeff McNeal
<jmcneal@ohms.com> writes
>Mike,
>
>As with anything else, one man's "junk" is another man's treasure...
>Maybe there's someone out there with a speedo that works, but the face
>plate is in poor shape for whatever reason, or the glass or bezel,
>anything!

Fair comment.   And I don't suppose that turning it into a snow globe
would do those parts any favours.   Ah, well, back to the quartz clock
idea.

>  As for the rest of the stuff, it's only limited to your
>imagination, really.

My imagination is fairly limited - hence the request for ideas.   I may
be an author, but I write *non-fiction* books, you know. <g>

>  I have a hard time of letting anything go, afraid
>that if I do, "someday" I might wish I had it for somthing else.  Like
>an extra bracket that came with my garage door replacement hardware.
>It's heavy steel and I had no possible use for it, but I saved it
>anyway.  Then a couple of weeks ago, I discovered that it made a
>splended "support" for my Keihin quad carb conversion.  If you keep
>your old parts long enough, you'll find another use for them.  Either
>that, or you'll wind up with a lot of useless junk that your "estate"
>will have to sort through and either toss in the dumpster or sell on
>eBay after you croak someday.  But it's always good to have "stuff".
>And more "stuff".

I'm certainly with you on that.   But there are limits to the potential
usefulness of such things as dead speedos and knackered pistons, and I
don't like just to throw them away.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"