Re: distributor rebuild

To: Fred Griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: distributor rebuild
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:16:13 -0700
Fred Griffiths wrote:

> While cleaning up a distributor to put onto the 1500 rebuild, I came across
> some puzzling aspects.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
>
> Its a Lucas, PN 41561 B 43D4 made in 36 73.  It has a vacuum advance chamber
> on it, but when I removed this - nothing's connected inside!
>
> The vacuum chamber works, pulling the rod, but the rod isn't connected to
> anything.  And the base plate, on which the points are mounted is very firmly
> mounted to the body - it can't move.
>
> The unit does have centrifugal advance with two springs - however one looks
> heavier and longer than the other.  The light one does all the work, the
> heavier one doesn't even take up the slack when I twist the top and bottom
> shafts opposite directions.
>
> So what is wrong with this picture?
>
> Cheers,
> Fred

Fred,
Sounds like someone reworked the thing.  I have locked down the plate on
distributors used on Race engines when I disconnected the Vacuum pot but the
two different springs sounds questionable to me.  Take it to a shop that has
the tools to check the force necessary to advance the thing and if
necessary, have it corrected.  Is it obvious how the plate is locked down?
Usually, the arm post that is usually connected to the Vacuum advance arm
is connected to something that locks it im place, therefore it is reversable.
But some people also resort to more extreme measures that are not
reversible.

I assume it came out of a car with an electronic tach and therefore has no
mechanical drive on the base.  If this is not the case, I have two
distributors with tach drive (Delco) that I will let go for $125.00 each.  THey
include working vacuum advances.

Regards,
Joe Curry