Re: Bodywork

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Bodywork
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:47:38 +0000
Hi Mike,
I have done all the body work that you discribe on Sophie (You've seen the
result!), and I wouldn't attempt it unless you have a years worth of weekends, a
VERY understanding wife, shares in elastoplast, and good psycotherapy!
Everyone is right, the sills are the MOST important parts, then the floors.
Worth also looking at where the rear radius arm mounts, mine was waggling in the
air when I checked (hence wicked rear end bump steer!!)
Rear wings and arches, get them replaced together. can be done pretty quickly,
(first side 4 weekends, 2nd side 1 weekend I am sure a pro could be much
quicker) and once done you don't have to worry. BTW get the insides of the wings
coated in copious quantities of hamerite!
Widescreed surround, you are right, the bit under the windscreen rubber is
usually in pretty good condition (the reverse of what is usually true,). The
flange bit rusts first, I think because of water finding its way in from the
top. These can be bought and replaced, I patched mine.
Door skin. get them reskined!
Bonnet, front edges are a disaster, patched mine, but had to rush it, trickey to
get right!
Rust on the seams (VERY VERY common), mine has same dispite sand blasting, rust
proofing and repainting with 2-pack. One trick, get some wax-oil, spray it on
the seam, squidge it in well with you finger, and the T-cut off the rest. Gives
you a little more time before the rust returns!
In fact spray wax oil in all those sorts of places.
Hope this helps
Tim

--
Tim Dafforn