Re: Running on

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <stevewalls1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Running on
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:50:54 -0500
>From your description, I'd be inclined to suspect the starting circuit.  Since
>the problem goes away once everything is warmed up, the starting circuit is
>the one that should be the variable.

Emission equipped carbureted  cars tended to have run on problems, and the
generic solution was to use a solenoid for idling, allowing the throttle
plate(s) to completely close when turned off, blocking all air into the engine.
 If the throttle plates didn't close down completely, the engine could draw in
air and fuel, and keep on running, dieseling.

In your case, I'd suspect the enrichener is holding the throttle plate up on
one of the fast idle steps.  It also could be exaserbated by maladjustments
that compensate for the enrichener failing to open properly, or at least
quickly enough.

As for the anti-run on valve, as I recall, that opens up when the engine is
running, and closes when the engine is off.  The carbon can is supposed to
absorb fumes from the tank and the fuel bowl while the car is turned off.  When
the car is running, the fumes are sucked out of the can and into the running
engine.  The anti run on valve is between the charcoal cans and the intake, as
I recall.

>>> steve walls <stevewalls1@yahoo.com> 02/13/02 03:27AM >>>
Anybody got any thoughts on running on on a 1500 spit
engine? I've looked at the usual culprits like timing,
overheating and mixture, they're OK. After a long run
(10+miles), no problem, but if I just drive across
town, I end up having to stall the engine to stop it.
I note that US versions of the 1500 had an anti run on
solenoid, which I assume lets air into the induction
manifold. Does this mean the factory couldn't get it
right either?