RE: rust removal / rust prevention

To: "'Jon'" <triumph@bigolbear.com>, triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: rust removal / rust prevention
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:44:49 -0000
Asking about electronic boxes that stop corrosions:

....So, rocket scientist on the list - Is this possible?  Are they
available?  Do they work?  How much and where do I get one?  Sounds too good
to be true, but the rust process is just electrolysis,, isn't it?...

Well, yes, technically I don't see why that shouldn't work.  In the oil
industry (and I guess the ship-building industry too) 'cathodic protection'
is used - esentially a large steel item which is vulnerable to rust has a
small lump of a more reactive metal (magnesium maybe?  not sure) bolted to
it.  Any attempt of the steel to rust results in electrons passing from the
magnesium to the steel, and the magnesium corrodes instead.  The magnesium
then needs regular replacement!

Supplying electrons via a wire to earth sounds theoretically feasible,
although I have no idea what voltage would be required to prevent corrosion.
Whether it works in practice I have no idea.  My biggest concern is that, if
this really does work, how come I've never heard of it before?  Surely
everyone would be using them?  Also, if you provide another source to earth
from your car body (such as a piece of metal carelessly left leaning against
your bodywork and touching the ground, or possibly even wet grass touching
the underside of the car) you could flat your battery if left for some time.

Still, I like the idea...

Richard and Daffy (less in need of cathodic protection now she has got
somewhere dry to live)

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email