Re: Rear-end rubbing advice please!

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear-end rubbing advice please!
From: "Dean Dashwood" <deandashwood_list@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:00:43 -0000
Well done Richard - absolutely spot on!  It was the rear bearings which were
causing the wheel to be stiff, and causing the rubbing noise.  Which
eventually deteriorated into a banging, grinding kind of a noise.  And when
the mechanic started to disassemble the rear end to replace the diff (which
he was still convinced was the problem) he noticed iron filing coming out of
the hub, where the bearings had been ground up - and that's when he realised
it was the hub and not the diff which needed replacing!  My greasing the hub
came far too late to save it, unfortunately.  But the car is back on the
road now, and both sounding and handling better than it did before!

Dean