Re: Hardtop Resto - expensive seals?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardtop Resto - expensive seals?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:27:31 +0100
In article <11EEFA4B6844D511A0E70008C71E9F018F3954@ABDEXH01>, Richard
Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com> writes
>I guess how much you spend on your hard-top resto depends on exactly what
>you want at the end.
>
>If your current headliner is OK (or you just don't care that much - mine is
>pretty stained!) that's 60 quid saved.  If you already have the tie bars on
>the hard-top, and you either have the rear moulding or you don't care about
>it (purely cosmetic piece) that's another 50 quid - your parts cost is
>already below half.  Save a bit more by using bolts you already have (I use
>the same bolts for the rear fixing and the tie bars that I use to fix the
>soft-top) and that's probably at least another tenner off the list.
>
>Yes, if you want it perfect it probably will cost the #550 that Mike
>estimated.  If you want it to do the job adequately and look OK then you can
>manage, I'm sure, spending very significantly less.

The point is, of course, that you can get a brand new one for half the
price (and, probably, sell the old one to some mug like me for a hundred
pounds or so, thus bringing your nett cost down to well under two
hundred).   You also (and this is important) don't then have to spend
hours trying to fit the seals, which is a job that definitely belongs in
anyone's Top Three of the fiddliest and most annoying jobs to do on a
Spitfire.

Seriously, James; I've done it once, but I'd never do it again.

Buy a new one, or live with the old one.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"