Re: rust

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rust
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:57:47 -0500
Lwestgaph@cs.com wrote:

> hi guys there is a lot of surface rust on the floorpans in my gt6- what is
> the best DIY treatment to deal with this?

POR-15 on the rust, and find and fix the source.  (Or don't drive in
the rain.)

> Also water is getting trapped in
> the channel around the rear hatch and has started to rust the water also gets
> into the spare wheel compartment

Probably running down inside the hatch.  Run your fingers along the
top edge of the hatch- there are two small holes there that will admit
rainwater if the seal there is less than perfect.  It collects at the
bottom  inside the hatch and then dribbles out when you lift it open.
Fill the holes with silicone, or fix the fit of the seal.  (On a
square tail at least-- I don't know if round tails have those holes.)

--
Douglas Frank    Compaq Computer Corp.
ZKO              110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,