RE: Tax Disc . Now Bad Roads, Now Self Serve Gas!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tax Disc . Now Bad Roads, Now Self Serve Gas!
From: Marc Anger <marcanger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:21:28 +0100
Can confirm totally, Pat.
As a matter of fact it can be even worse sometimes for tourists:
France adopted a "microchip" on the credit cards over 10 years ago.
That means you do not need to sign your card slip anymore, you just
dial your PIN. But it is my experience that this doesn't work all the
time with my UK Visa. I am lucky enough to have a French Visa as
well, but I can imagine the frustration of someone not speaking the
language and stuck in a petrol station with no attendant.
I must say however that this is mainly a problem with petrol station
within those Supermarkets which are closed on Sunday. On the
motorways, service stations have an obligation to stay open 24/7, and
even when some pumps are automatic, there will always be others which
are not. So feel free to go there (it really is a wonderful country
apart from the fact they completely lost it yesterday: must be a
virus... Austria, Italy, Denmark, and now France. Not to mention our
friends from across the pond who have a lesser strain (but so much
more potent)...
No insult intended. Just furious about what happened in France
yesterday, and having to vote for a pathological liar and crook to
stop a fascist, hence having a go at everyone.