1500 block

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1500 block
From: "Gary Hutton" <hutton@evansville.net>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:47:15 -0500
I'm taking an almost stripped short block into the shop to be tanked and
I'm trying to get everything off that should be off. There are three
0.5" bolts on the left side of the block that look like they lead to the
oil gallery - I got those off, but at the front and back end of the
block along that gallery there are 2 things I'm not sure about. On the
front there is a threaded plug that sticks out slightly from the block -
does this come out or is it pressed in there somehow?  At the rear,
there is a somewhat recessed plug that looks like it might be removed
with say a 5/16" allen wrench - does it come out also?

I got most of  the distributor stuff off without any problems, but the
driveshaft is still in there - does it just press out?

And finally, can anyone point me to a description of the drilling
process on the center main bearing oil way?  The shop foreman I've been
dealing with has been patient with my ignorance so far, but he would
probably rather read the instructions than have me try to describe the
process.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Hutton
Newburgh, IN, USA