Re: Valve spring binding test

To: sos@kymtnnet.org
Subject: Re: Valve spring binding test
From: gary durham <gjdurham@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 21:07:32 -0500
Larry,

Not sure I understand the question, as odd as that seems (very direct
question).  I'm not exactly sure that you CAN 'bind' them... only thing I
can think of is if you have A.) a large piece of foreign matter where it
shouldn't be,or B.) you've somehow got TOO tight of a valve guide when it
gets to operating temperature, either through damage or faulty
workmanship where the guide was manufactured?  Have you done ANYTHING
with the head and rocker assembly?  Are the springs old and worn (lost
temper)?  Single spring set, or dual?

Best test I can think of is to just fire her up!  If you have a spring
'bind' for even a split second, several things are going to happen.
First, the cam profile will 'drop' the tappet, which will in turn 'drop'
the push rod.  This, in turn, will result in your push rod 'escaping' the
rocker arm which, also in turn, will cause the closing valve (intake or
exhaust) to 'snap' the rocker arm up.  At this point, you will have a
hell's own special din screaming like tormented banchees from hell, as
your push rod and rocker arm take turns impacting your valve cover
repeatedly, which in turn will TOTALLY freak you, resulting in both a
panicked 'jump' to turn the engine off, while simultaneously resulting in
a need for your knickers to be... your knickers to be... well... just 'to
be'.

Hmm!  On second thought, perhaps you'd better wait for some better advise
than mine!  ;-)

Gary