Re: Front Rack Removal

To: Andre Rousseau <andrer@mac.com>, Spit List
Subject: Re: Front Rack Removal
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 17:34:21 -0700
At 04:25 PM 6/2/02 -0400, Andre Rousseau wrote:
>How do I get that puppy off, I remove the bolts, but have not been able to
>remove rack where it attaches to the suspension.

The front steering rack is held in place by a pair of U bolts with plates
and nuts on the bottom side of the frame mounts.  Once those bolts are out
and the rack is disconnected from the steering shaft, it should pop free of
the chassis.  There are no other bolts.  Sometimes you'll find a small
copper expanded mesh grounding strap on top of the steering box itself to
the chassis, but that'll be an obvious one.

Now if you're talking about disconnecting the outer tie rod ends from the
spindle/control arms on each tower, THAT requires a pickle fork / tie rod
separator.  A decent pickle fork and a couple of good whacks with a 5 pound
hammer will pop those off.  I've tried ball joint presses and never had
luck with them on the Spit- the pickle fork was $5 and did the job on the
first try.

-Vegaman Dan