Re: RE: bumpers

To: "Richard Gosling" <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>, <gjdurham@juno.com>
Subject: Re: RE: bumpers
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:42:10 -0700
Richard, Gary, etc.,

My understanding is that the "new" bumpers are of a thinner gauge steel,
slightly rougher around the edges and that the chrome process might not be
done in the desired triple plating method (copper/nickel/chrome).  I recently
came across some bumpers which I suspect are repros. The chrome was not
pitting, it was actually flaking off.  I've had several sets of original
bumpers rechromed for my projects and in my opinion, this is the only way to
go. It's less expensive than buying new, and they're guaranteed for life.  At
least they are by the place that does mine.

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 project
'70 GT6+ "Accidental" restoration project
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Photos, How-To's, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net