Re: NEW TOPIC - Why did you buy your Spit?

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: NEW TOPIC - Why did you buy your Spit?
From: Bill McGarry <billmcgarry@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:14:53 -0700
Hey All,
This is turning out to be an interesting thread. I confess I'm addicted
too! My addiction to Little British Cars began with a '64 MGB I bought
as a high school student after a summer ('72) working as a forest
ranger. The little "B" helped start my "apprenticeship" in DIY auto
maintenance, it also provided freedom for myself and my first serious
girl friend. However the love affair with my "B" was shattered the first
time I saw a Austin Healey 3000 Mk III. Gorgeous body lines and
voluptuous exhaust snarl sent me on a quest to find a AH 3000 I could
afford. After saving and searching I saw an ad. in the local paper...
after viewing the car I offered close to my full bank roll (not much)
and to my surprise acquired my first Healey. The lady who had owned it
was away modeling in New York and had asked her Mom to get what she
could for it! So began a passionate love affair which was abruptly
terminated by a police cruiser, two years later. The cop had been racing
to the scene of a motorcycle accident and crashed into my drivers door,
destroying my Healey. Luckily I got of with only severe lacerations to
my left leg... I was only worried about my car! Eighteen and no cool car
man that was tough! I found my second Healey in barn. It was mint and
friggin fast due to the 300hp 327 Corvette engine under the hood... a
total sleeper if you didn't notice the fact it had dual exhaust dumping
discretely in front of each rear wheel and a slight rocking motion at
idle due to that big v8. Two incredible years of undefeated street
racing and I got creamed by an un-marked cop car racing to a drug
bust... the car was later stolen from storage. I still dream of that Hot
little Healey... fast forward marriage, kids etc. and lots of not so
memorable vehicles and finally I had another sports car...'87 Supra
Turbo which was totaled after two wonderful years by an idiot on the
highway. I took the settlement money with the intention of buying a
"family car" at my wife's urging. Luckily I spotted a '79 Spitfire to
divert some of the funds to. I figured I just had to have something
sporty. Long story longer, my wife quickly fell in love with it and the
Spit became "Her" car! Along came two parts cars which since have almost
finished morphing into a Spit 2500. Mean while another Supra turbo found
its way into my heart as well... I just found a Healey restoration
project that is begging for either a small block v8 or a Supra engine...
the addiction continues!!
Cheers,
Bill