Re: Wheels

To: "steve walls" <stevewalls1@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:05:06 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: steve walls <stevewalls1@yahoo.com>

> Anybody know what other wheels will fit a spitfire, I
> know that Dolomite Sprint alloys will, but what about
> others, such as TR7 alloys.

While the Dolomite Sprint alloys have the same PCD, I understand that the
offset is different and requires a spacer. Years back I had a friend who ran a
Spitfire 1500 with Sprint alloys without spacers - they had been on the car
when he bought it. When a new vertical link was fitted following a breakage, he
found the trunnion fouled the inside edge of the wheel. A couple of weeks
later, the vertical link on the other side snapped! Again, the new trunnion
fouled the wheel rim. I don't know how he got around this, but I have wondered
whether the trunnion was incorrectly installed (screwed on too far?) to allow
the wheels to fit. Strange that 2 vertical links should fail in a short space
of time,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

PS
  I have 4 rather interesting alloys with Spitfire/Herald PCD, 5.5" wide but
I'm unsure about the offset. They're marked "Made in Great Britain" and have 6
spokes, each one split into a sort of diamond shape. I could get a low res
digital image if anyone is interested.

--
Rarebits4classics

PO Box 1232