Ford trannies

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Ford trannies
From: Neil Penberthy <npenberthy@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:34:05 -0800 (PST)
Brian and Bill discussed Ford trannies:

The Ford Type 9 came in among others the Ford Sierra,
known as the Merkur XR4Ti here in the states.  It's
not the same gearbox as a Borg-Warner T5,
nfortunately.

Bill J

I don't know Bill,

When I looked up Merkur XR4Ti, they all referred to
the BW T-5.  And if you look up BW T-5 you find that
it has been put into practically every thing on the
planet (including a Chevy Chevette).  I've decided to
experiment with the things, bought a spitfire
bellhousing off ebay to experiment with.

Brian

***

The Merkur used the European Ford Sierra body shell
and a US derived drivetrain. The Merkur was powered by
an intercooled version of the 2.3 turbocharged 4
cylinder also found in 84-85 SVO Mustangs and
Thunderbird Turbocoupes. All the standard (manual)
transimission versions that I know of used the Borg
Warner T5. I don't know of anything in common between
this drivetrain and the Sierras. IIRC they used the
1.6 kent or a 1.8 or 2.0 4 cylinder Pintos at first
and later the CVH (? I forget what they call the damn
things) and the usual Ford Europe 4 and 5 speeds.

HTH

Neil