Re: Rear Spring - The results x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Rear Spring - The results x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:55:11 -0700
James Carruthers wrote:

> Doug,
>
> Yes, I was worried a bit about that, my car has gone from excessive negative
>camber to excessive positive
> camber! I've been taking extra care going around corners.
>
> This is the before and after, after being on the right:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/7905483
>
> Is the spring the only part of the car that dictates the camber? Were the
>spring makers over enthusiastic in
> their bending?
>
> James

James,
I have to admit that I haven't been following this thread too closely
and don't even know which model Spit you have.  But I can tell you from
experience that the dampers also affect the rear camber.  Later cars
with the longer axles and swing spring normally sit in an exaggerated
negative camber situation and the earlier cars would normally sit pretty
much straight up.  Using longer than normal shocks or gas charged ones
will make the unloaded rear end sit too high and therefore develop
positive camber.

Check the following things.

1.  If you have a later car, see if the axles are the right length for
your application
2.  See if the shocks (dampers) are correct for your car.

Regards,
Joe