Mk1 Spitfire

To: "spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mk1 Spitfire
From: "Martin Pearce" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:30:18 -0000
I wonder if I may impose on the list for some advice. My Spit was running
extremely rich and having a few problems in starting prior to a major
overhaul of the electrics and carbs.

I have replaced leads, dist cap, points, and many of the carb parts that
appear to be worn or on their way out.

Refitted the carbs and she wont start at all.  I have checked that fuel is
coming through to the carbs and there is a spark.  The manual appears to
point to timing and suggests turning the crankshaft to the mark and making
sure that the dist it lined to spark plug number 1.

Firstly am I missing the obvious?

Secondly, how on earth do you move the crankshaft by hand?

Thanks

Martin

---