Re: Cooling System

To: "Pettis, Ward (NIH/NIDCD)" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>,
Subject: Re: Cooling System
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:10:56 -0500
Ward,
   Congratulations on getting your '76 officially on the road!  Congrats
also on getting your wife behind the wheel; I have to coerce my mate just to
get her in the passenger seat.
   Your 3000 RPM @ 50 MPH appears right on; mine is about the same, and the
book figure says 3000 should be 50.4 MPH.  Overdrive reduces that about 20%,
so 50 MPH in OD needs about 2400 - a nice reduction.  However, all those
figures do seem quite high when compared with our modern cars which cruise
at highway speeds with RPM's in the 2000-2500 range.
   It sounds like you did everything right to your cooling system.  Other
than clogged passages in the block, I'd suspect the gauge itself or (more
likely) a fritzy voltage stabilizer - the little 1&1/2" x 3/4" box that's
screwed to the back of the speedometer and reduces the voltage to the fuel &
temp gauges (Q: how is the fuel gauge reading?)  The voltage stabilizer from
my parts car doesn't look pretty, and I don't know if it's functional or
not; however, if you'd like to try it to test your temp reading, feel free
to check with me off-list.

Cheers,  Ree G.