Timing a modified '72 1300

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing a modified '72 1300
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 08:27:45 -0500
Greetings all -

I have a '72 with a stock 1300 engine I just rebuilt. Years
ago I removed the troublesome CD150 carb and replaced it with
twin SU HS2s I salvaged from a 1970 Spitfire. I blocked off
the vacuum port on the SU and used the Delco D204 distributor
as a simple mechanical advance.

My mechanic, the great Dave Crane, advised on rebuild to
replace that D204 distributor as it was getting worn. He
recommended an earlier model so I could use the vacuum
advance feature which he believes gives a smoother power
curve in a stock car.

I found a rebuilt D200 distributor on Ebay and have installed
that on the car, complete with new vacuum hose. Now the
fun begins. How do I time this thing?

Previously I had been doing initial static timing with
a slight advance and driving it to ensure no pinging.
Now I'm unsure where to put the timing initially, plus
the addition of the vernier adjustment on the D200
distributor has me stumped.

Here's what I _think_ is correct: twist in the vernier
adjustment all the way clockwise, which is full advance.
Set the static timing to 0 degrees, then twist out
the vernier adjustment so that 1.5 adjustments show, which
would be 6 degrees ATDC.

Start the engine and check it with a timing light so that
it's 2 degrees ATDC at idle.

The fact that I'm timing it "late", i.e., *after* TDC is
what sticks in my mind as being wrong. Given that this
is a later 1300 engine, I thought that I should be timing
it *before* TDC by a few degrees.

Thanks for any input,

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC