Re: Timing or Carbs?

To: "Bóna, Péter, VF-Hungary"
Subject: Re: Timing or Carbs?
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 09:05:09 -0500
At 12:19 PM 4/4/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>

>Is that a timing or a carb issue?

Probably not the timing.  Besides, you can easily check
the timing by twisting the  distributor while the engine is
idling, to see if you can get it to run better.

>Could a faulty vacuum advance be the cause? How to check if good?

Disconnect the vacuum hose from the carb, plug the nipple on the
carb where the hose was connected., and suck on the hose real hard.
You should see the timing changing, and you should not sense an
air leak in the system.  If you have no timing light, remove the
distributor cap and see if the breaker plate moves.

>Could I adjust anything on the vacuum advance?

Not really.

>I have checked timing only with light, not with stroboscope. Could a
>difference of +/- 1-2 degree makes theese kind of problems?

Probably not.

>any other suggestion for troubleshooting?

Check for a vacuum leak.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit