Re: Tranny Input (first motion) Shaft and Bell Housing Question

To: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tranny Input (first motion) Shaft and Bell Housing Question
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:57:05 -0400
At 10:49 AM 4/29/2003 -0400, Mike Chmura wrote:

>- How do you separate the dowel (that's what my Vicky Brit Catalog calls
>it) from the bell housing?  Or should you?  It looks like one should
>remove it by tapping from inside the bell housing so that it pops out
>the back, but that's a guess on my part.  I've tried tapping and it's
>not budging (yet).

It sounds like you are talking about part #122566 or UKC7926,
which Triumph called "Cover, Front End".  The "dowels" are actually
those little pins that hold it in place.  VB does not carry the actual
cover, and probably nobody else does either, since it can't really ever fail.

I am pretty certain there is no need to remove it.  I believe that the oil seal
can be replaced without removing it, but since my own tranny has no seal,
I am not 100% certain.

The older transmissions did not use a seal, and eventually they added one,
which necessitated the redesigned cover.

In any case, you could use either the old or new bellhousing, with or without
the
seal.  The seal is good to have, since without it oil can leak out (all over
the clutch)
if you park on a steep downhill grade.

BTW, get a real catalog to use for reference.  The VB catalog is pretty
mediocre, especially since they do not use the official British Leyland
part numbering system.

I suggest the Rimmer Bros catalog.  It is very well-written!

>- In addition the circlip on the old tranny is just a round clip with
>the two eyes on top.  The O/D tranny has a circlip but it's round with
>little tangent raised flat spots. This is hard to describe.

I guess you mean the front-most circlip on the input shaft, which holds
the ball bearing in place.  All the ones I have ever seen have the two eyes.
But why would you need to mess with it?

Doug Braun
'72 Spit