Re: Cylinder Heads - differences?

To: Suzie <suzie.singleton@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Cylinder Heads - differences?
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 07:59:32 -0700
Suzie wrote:

> Ok, I should know this and I'm sure I've seen it mentioned on the lists at
> some point but after a quick search I'm none the wiser and hoping someone
> will have a quick answer.
>
> What, if any, is the difference between cylinder heads for Mk3 & 1500
> Spitfires?
>
> I know I was told once that they were interchangeable but can't remember any
> more details than that - and would like it confirmed or denied. And as a
> follow on, how many varieties of cylinder head were there? Were the MkI & II
> and IV different yet?
>
> Suzie

Suzie,
While there are differences in the valve sizes and other changes to the
1500 heads that allow for connection of other things (such as air rails
in some cases), the biggest difference is the thickness of the head.
Therefore, you can use a 1500 head on a 1300 engine if you shave it
enough to bring the compression ration up to where it needs to be.  But
you can't use a 1300 head on a 1500 unless you absolutely want a very
huge compression ration and want to buy your fuel at a race track.

The Mk1 and 2 models share a common head with a siamese intake port for
the two center cylinders.  All other heads have 8 distinct ports (4
intake, 4 exhaust).

Cheers,
Joe