points

To: "Spitfire List \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: points
From: "Tim Benner" <tbenner@woh.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:41:20 -0400
Anyone replaced their points and condenser lately?

A while ago I got some tuneup parts for my MK2 from VB.  The plugs, rotor
and distributor cap worked out just fine.  But the points are different from
what is in the car and from illustrations in my manuals.

The points in the car have an insulating fiber tab to which a small threaded
stud is connected.  The points spring and connections are held to this with
small nuts.  The new ones, although the same size and basic shape,  do not
have the fiber tab or stud.  Instead they have a nylon piece which snaps
into an opening in the unsprung half of the points.  This nylon part does
have a small nub which looks like it would hold the spring in place.  Do the
wires attach to this somehow?  Would the nub be facing the distributor shaft
or the outside of the case?

These may be rookie questions but I am baffled.  Any advice would be much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Benner
Black '65 Spitfire MK2