Re: Removing and Installing a Windshield

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing and Installing a Windshield
From: kmdalton@AircraftBraking.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:46:12 -0400
Todd Posted,

"hi there, this question is actually not concerning a spit, it's a 240z,
but
it seems most the people on the z list are into how fast there cars go, and
get nowhere near as much valuable info. "

   Hello Todd,

I am on both lists also as I own two 1973 Spitfires, a 70 GT6+ and a couple
of 71 240Z's.  The 240Z windshield is sealed in place with an adhesive and
about the only way to get it out is to cut the rubber seal and install a
new one when you put it back together.  There have been threads on the
removal and installation and if you do a search in the archives I think you
will find the information that you are looking for (Note that it involves
using your feet as I recall).  The steel trim pieces must be put back in
place as these compress the rubber seal and keep the window from blowing
out while running down the road (at high speeds).  You can find more
information in The Complete Restoration Guide by Bill Reagen and How to
Restore your Datsun Z Car by Wick Humble.  The service manual may also have
some information.  There are a lot of similarities and techniques used for
this job on both Triumphs and Datsuns but there are some differences too!
Sorry I can't list them off the top of my head other than making sure you
use the proper adhesive when you put it back together.  I have been working
on the Triumphs for the last few years and my brain only has room for
information pertaining to the current project (and not much at that).  Good
Luck.  If you need any further information let me know off list and I will
dig through my library and see what I can turn up.

Kevin Dalton