Re: removing and instaling a winshield?

To: <Stardust8409@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: removing and instaling a winshield?
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:09:27 -0400
Hi Todd,
we may have some advise for you.
The windshield is installed with a rubber seal and a metal moulding. To
remove the old window, the rubber should be cut between the glass and the
moulding.
Then, the moulding can be removed. Do not attempt to remove the moulding
first. It may bend. Then, the glass can be pushed out. This may be a bit
tricky, because of the sealer used during installation. The metal flange,
which hold the windshield, should be cleaned, if necessary painted.
Windshield are made from laminated glass, which is very sensitive to
breakage. Care should be taken. The new rubber seal should be installed on
the new windshield before installation. After that, the moulding should be
installed into the rubber seal. To make things easier and slippery,
different fluids can be used. Soapy water[dishwashing lotion] , glycerine or
a 'release it' agent. The windshield should be turned over and a rope should
be installed inside the lip, which will hold the window onto the metal
flange. The rope should not be a nylon rope, rather a soft quality one. The
rope should be overlapped at the bottom. The whole assembly should be laid
into the window opening. Ideal scenario would be 2 people on the outside,
holding the window down, one person on the inside, pulling the rope almost
parallel to the glass. This way, the lip will be pulled over the flange.  It
might take several attempts if you have no experience.
We don't remember if these cars have trim on the inside, in this case, the
trim has to be removed first.
Be generous with the fluids [soap] you are using, this makes the job easier.
Sealers: Use sealer after installation only if the window leaks to keep the
job clean.
Hope this helps.
Wilf and Liv